Saturday, March 24, 2007

My new mid-life crisis

Alright all of you experienced and wise people - I am having a mid-life crisis. At least, I think I am. I haven't bought an expensive sports car or run off with my secretary or bought a new wardrobe of expensive clothes. But I am nearly 35 years old, and lately I have had these questions - what the heck am I doing with my life?!?

In 10 years, Meg will be graduating and Janie will be preparing for her Senior year in high school, Henry & Sam will be OUT of the house, and I will only be 45 years old. So, this all hit me a few days ago, and I am wondering what I am going to do with my life for the 20 years between Janie's graduation and Russ's retirement. I always thought I'd do something, have some career, but what to do? These days all of my kidlets are in school - gone like they will be in just a tiny little decade - and lately I have been thinking about what I am doing with my life: Who am I? Where am I going? Here I sit all alone just wondering why. Is this a mid-life crisis or what? :)

So, at the risk of sounding like a freak (it's not that serious, I'm just wondering about the purpose of my life is all), does anyone have some experience with this? How does one decide what they want to do with the rest of their lives? I'm depending on you guys! Thank you, oh wise and compassionate ones. Love from Camille

7 comments:

Tennesseeans said...

I'm don't have any experience in this but I always thought you wanted to finish school and become a teacher. Whatever happened with that? I think you'd be a great teacher.
Brian

Elder Tanner said...

This is the point that I started working at the school. For me this has been very fulfilling. Continuing your education is another great thing. You could go to school during the day and finish a lot faster than just taking one or two classes a semester. I completed my associate's degree and now I'm trying to decided if I really do want to be a teacher. Working at the school has given me a very eye-opening experience. That's not to say that it's not a good thing for you. I think this is a great time to explore. Do some things that interest you and follow the path that feels right. The important thing is to "do" because life won't stand still while you try to decide. There's an enourmous amount out there, just take that first step and begin the journey.

Cindy said...

The possibilities are endless for you! I think of all you accomplish when your kids are home and can't imagine all the things you'll do when you're an empty nester. I too think you would be a great teacher (not elementary, I wouldn't recommend that) but high school or even college. I was reading in my journal back in the day when I was in show choir and how much I loved Mr. Gemar. You would be so loved as a show choir or some other drama or music teacher. I say that because you have such a talent in that area. You'll be guided into what you're suppose to do.
Love ya sis!
Cindy

Cindy said...

Enough of all the teaching. We get enough teaching at home, school, church, scouts, YM/YW. You're already a teacher. I think you should give guided canoe tours down the river, or maybe a pilot, or maybe you could be a professional tree house builder. Now those are things I could see you doing.

Love,
Nate

Tennesseeans said...

Yeah, I like Nate's idea.
You know that do it yourself show, "Tool Belt Diva" on cable?
You could be the tree house diva.
Yeah, that's the ticket.
Brian

Dale T. said...

Have you thought about a Harley??

JumpingJeri said...

Mille,
I think you have to go out and try new things. You could go and shadow people who have different careers that sound interesting to you. Go and do some volunteer work too. That is a great way to find out if you'd like something. You have to experiment and see what is out in the world that you had never imagined before. Finally, choose something that you feel passionate about. Feeling the passion is where its at. Don't settle for something that feels mediocre to you! Life is too short. Love ya lots, Jeri