Monday, October 09, 2006

Uncle Eldon

About 10 days ago, Uncle Jay called to ask about Mom and Dad, and to ask if I would forward their emails to him. We chatted briefly for a few minutes - it's always nice to talk to Uncle Jay. After hanging up the phone, I thought, "He is getting older. One of these days he isn't going to be around anymore. That will be a sad time when we start losing our uncles and aunts." A week later, I got another phone call from Uncle Jay about the sad news of Uncle Eldon's death.

I emailed Mom and Dad Saturday night before I sent the news to all of you via email. But I was unsure when they would get to check their email again. I wondered if I should call the mission office and get their phone number, but Uncle Jay had said he didn't feel it was necessary. The next morning, in Germany (which was probably about the same time I was emailing Mom and Dad with the news) a woman from Idaho Falls who was attending the international ward that Mom and Dad are currently working in, saw Mom at church and said, "Sister Price, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother." Mom, of course, had not yet read her email and this woman, Sister Manning, who obviously had better email access, had learned about Uncle Eldon's death that morning. She knew him well anyway. So, that was how Mom heard about Uncle Eldon.

Mom called home yesterday. We were all at church, but Jeri Jump was at the house - she had nipped home for a bit - and talked to Mom briefly. She gave a number where she and dad could be reached, so yesterday afternoon, Boyd called. Cathy and I were hot on his heels and so we got to talk to Mom and Dad, too. Mom said that it was better that Sister Manning was the one to tell her. Mom, understandably, started crying, and Sister Manning stayed right with her for a long, long time. I felt guilty that I hadn't called to tell her the news right off, but she said it was good how it happened. Who knows when she would have been able to get the email I sent? And by learning about it Sunday morning, she was able to call Aunt Velma and talk with her for a while. Aunt Velma said, "I wouldn't have him back here for a minute to go through the pain he has suffered the past week." Cathy noted that that really is true love, isn't it? That she would rather suffer loneliness and widowhood than have her husband back, but in pain. She is a great lady.

Uncle Eldon had been sick for nearly a month, but the past week was the worst. His lungs couldn't get enough air, not with a nasal canula, not with an oxygen mask, not with a ventilator. It's so sad. Of course, Uncle Eldon isn't the first of our uncles or aunts to pass away, but I guess I felt closer to the Risenmay uncles and aunts than the Price uncles and aunts. Does that make sense? They always seemed to be more a part of our lives than the Prices... maybe the great age difference between dad and his brothers is part of that. Anyway... it's sad that we've entered this fragile time - these sunset years of people we know and love so well.

So, the bottom line is that Mom is sad, but doing alright. It was good to talk to them yesterday - missing them really set in at that time. And being the very dignified and poised person that I am, I cried like a little girl.

The funeral will be Tuesday at 1:00. FYI.

Love you all,

Camille

No comments: