Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Another trip to Wal-Mart redeemed!

This story isn't funny, sorry Zach, but it's great.

Yesterday I was lamenting having to go to the shopper infested dwelling of Wal-Mart again. It's kind of a love/hate relationtionship. You love the prices but don't know if you can stomach another visit. But I was glad for the opportunity when I left yesterday. Here's the story: I was just leaving the one hour photo desk when I looked up and came face to face with Elder and Sister Eyring. He said "Hello," as I stared on wondering if that were really them. I tried to be inconspicuous as I glanced their way to make sure it was them and then mustered the courage to say hello in return. They were looking at digital camers with a clerk. I tapped Sister Eyring on the arm and asked if they were in fact the Eyrings. She said yes and I told her I just wanted to say hello as one of the 12 million people who knew them. She asked where I was from. When she learned that I was originally from Idaho we talked about Rexburg where they had served at Ricks College. I asked if they knew any Risenmays and they knew Uncle Jay well. Sister Erying then introduced me to Elder Eyring as Jay Risenmay's niece. He said that Uncle Jay was one of his favorite people. I said that he was one of mine too. They said thanks for stopping to say hello and I went on my way. It overwhelmed me and I just wandered for a few minutes fighting the tears that came automatically. They still come every time I think about it. They were very warm and inviting just like the Savior would have been. Still they were fast moving and back to business out of necessity. Can you imagine being an Apostle and walking into a store in American Fork, Utah.

I am so glad you are all my family.

Love, Cathy

4 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great experience Cath! So that's one of the perks of living in Utah, huh? I'm glad you're a part of our family!
-Cindy

The Gold Gang said...

No fair...Lucky!!!! I get to work with a bunch of haggle that think the F word is a required verb in every statement. Thanks for sharing your joy!

Russ

Elder Tanner said...

What a neat experience. These are the things we like to hear about.

SupermanOfOKC said...

Elder Eyring's daughter and son-in-law were my counselors at EFY a couple years ago when it was in Stillwater, it's such a small world isnt it?

-Z